[OSM-dev] Segment-free OSM database and API

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Jan 5 20:49:16 GMT 2007

Nick W wrote:

> Been thinking a bit more about the idea of a segment-free OSM
> database and its
> benefits for shapefile, and consequently easy Mapnik map, production.
> Therefore, if there's interest, I'll set up a segment free OSM
> database on
> dev, consisting of linear ways made up of ordered list of nodes, with
> direction (no superways as yet!) and based on planet.osm. It could
> also have
> its own API (Richard - maybe this could tie in with Potlatch?)

If we were to get rid of segments, the only change necessary to
Potlatch (more or less) would be to take out a load of the SQL in its
'private API'.

So theoretically all you'd need to do would be swap out the old copy
of (currently) amfrespond.php and replace it with a slimmed-down
version.

cheers
Richard