[OSM-dev] Various OSM troubles (osm-subset from planet.osm)

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Sun Jan 7 09:32:20 GMT 2007

> === Getting a bigger area ===
>
> I desired to have the complete area I mapped on my GPS device to refine
> it. I tried to get the data of this area using JOSM. The coordinates
> (lat,lon) are
> 48.28340621665376,7.588906762370101
> 49.77573536590515,8.915421561704648
> JOSM needs some time, then I get an error:
> Server returned HTTP response code: 500

Well maybe you should try to work with the planet dumps. The server is
limiting request (because of performance reasons) to a limited time and size.
You can use
 svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/osm-subset/osm-subset.pl
to download and extract a smaller area out of planet.osm.
If you have a debian system and don't want to hazzle arround with installing
it by hand you can also use the current gpsdrive-debian-svn package to
install this.
For Karlsruhe you would have to add a bounding Box to
SVN: http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/perl/Geo/Filter/Area.pm
or locally for testing:
 /usr/share/perl5/Geo/Filter/Area.pm
Or jou just send me a bounding Box and I'll add it to the File.
Format of the Bounding Box:
    #                     min    |    max
    #               [  lat , lon ,  lat, lon ]

-

Joerg