[OSM-dev] Segment-free OSM database and API

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 22:30:18 GMT 2007

On 1/6/07, Ludwig Max Brinckmann <ludwigbrinckmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> For those looking for a quick and dirty fix to the problem, I have hacked an
> XSL file that will convert a OSM.xml file to another OSM.xml file where ways
> with non-contiguous segments are broken up into a way per segment.
>
> It can be used to pre-process an OSM xml file to remove jumbled ways without
> affecting processing steps that come after as the xml structure does not
> change and all attributes are retained.

It would be cool if comething like this could be programmed into JOSM.
I've already gone so far as to write perl script to reorder ways for
me.

> I agree that the issue should be fixed in the db itself, but setting up
> another db will create huge maintenance problems in the future: what happens
> if people start committing changes to the both dbs, old and fixed? How will
> you sync the data? A cleaner way would be to set up a 'view' that would only
> show contiguous segments.

You don't need to make a new DB,, just look for issues in the current
one, fix them and upload the changes. Do small areas and eventually
the DB will be fixed.

Incidently, the are a lot of class= tags still there would could take
similar treatment.