[OSM-dev] Various OSM troubles

Ludwig Max Brinckmann ludwigbrinckmann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:17:20 GMT 2007

> On the other hand there is a limit in size, but you probably will only see
> it
> if you are in a not so well filled area like Africa, ...

True. Maybe we should first find the bottleneck before looking for
solutions. Maybe someone who has access to the server logs could fill us in
what the actual error message on this error 500 is.

In the meantime have just been a bit browsing through the DB code and one
thing I noticed is -- correct me if I am wrong -- that OSM does not use the
MySql spatial extensions to represent the geometries, and thus cannot use
spatial indices on the data.

My personal experience is with PostGIS and there adding spatial indices to
large geometry tables speeds up retrieval by several magnitudes (*1000).

Is there any reason, apart from historic, that spatial extensions and
spatial indices are not used for OSM? Are there Ruby limitations in using
spatial extensions (good for prototyping, not so good for speed AFAIK)?

Ludwig