[OSM-dev] Report on wiki.osm

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jan 13 19:19:29 GMT 2007

Hi,

> I don't see any reason to consider
> occasional pages not being delivered as a fault

I'd say so too; but what you achieve by defensively configuring your
Apache is that the occasional _request_ is not served (as opposed to
the occasional _page_). For a page with many images (e.g. the "Map
Features" article), this may make it next to impossible to load it
with all images intact, prompting numerous reload attempts by the user
hoping in vain to see the page without any broken images.

> Given that all visitors tot he domain www.openstreetmap.org are
> redirected to the wiki front page, it may be an idea to take
> snapshots, perhaps every half hour, of the wiki front page as the
> front page for openstreetmap. This will reduce wiki load.

Sounds like a good idea. - I am not familiar with optimizing wikis,
but on a different machine suffering from peak loads I once added a
"%D" specification to the Apache LogFormat directive to make Apache
log the number of milliseconds taken to serve each request:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" %D" combined-with-time

After a few days I had collected some data telling me what was
requested most frequently and what gobbled up a lot of time. Maybe
this is feasible in a MediaWiki install, too.

Bye
Frederik