[OSM-dev] MySQL backup

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 15:52:37 GMT 2007

Hello Andreas

What sort of overhead does LVM introduce to I/O?

We take backup snapshots for the database every Friday and Tuesday. The database
is off-line for around 4-6 minutes while this is done.

We could automate a process whereby the backup is copied to another machine then
a planet.osm made from it.

Steve, does the generation of planet files generally go smoothly, what is the
exact process you use to make planet dumps? Do you think it'll be a good idea to
automate the process on cron?