[OSM-dev] Slippy Map, automatic Tile Rendering

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 18 23:22:49 GMT 2007

Hi,

> And MySQL begins to approach where other databases were many years ago. :-)

Oh come on, not another one of these advocacy discussions.

The backend can run on flat files for all I care as long as I get my
answers, quickly, through the API. And I'll happily leave the decision
to those actually operating the backend - they, after all, have to take
the blame if something doesn't work ;-)

> Yes, I know, we are not going to move until we have some performance
> measurements. This is really just a plea to not go developing lots of
> MySQL triggers and make it harder to move later. :-)

Of course it would be foolish to build anything into the API that cannot
technically work with another type of backend. And I'm all for keeping
the competition going.

Maybe we should have an annual competition. Everyone can participate as
long as he/she demonstrates that they have the capabilities (hardware,
software, and personnel) to operate the whole OSM backend for one year.
Competitors are then rated by the community, an important element being
the performance of their solution. The competition would take pleace in
October every year, and the winner would run the backend for the whole
of the following year. - Since application software strictly adheres to
the API, nothing would have to change there. Not even the host name, DNS
be praised.

But really - that can wait.

Bye
Frederik