[OSM-dev] Tiles with data, but without ways (was: Filled oceans in tiles at home - request for development work)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 21:31:38 GMT 2007

On 1/22/07, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/07, Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net> wrote:
> > We could use the osmarender debug-mode for tiles at home, which would make
> > segments show up on the map, but we need to make clear that this is not
> > yet finished data, perhaps by only doing it on zoom 12-14, so the
> > Segments show up in overview, but not when someone is browsing detail,
> > on the other hadn this might be confusing if suddenly a whole lot of
> > data seems to be missing just because one zoomed in.
>
> I think this would be better, but I think we should do away with the
> label "debug". I'd like osmarender to render segments without ways as
> something like a grey dashed line. That looks unfinished and it would
> give a much better impression as to the state of the map.
>
> Is there any good reason why you would *not* want to display such
> segments?

The problem with rendering segments in Osmarender is that people are less
inclined to make them into ways and tag them if they show up anyway.

If segments are rendered then IMHO they should be rendered in purple or some
obnoxious shade of brown so that people are strongly motivated not to leave
them like that.

Have a nice day,