[OSM-dev] new vmap boundaries

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Jan 23 21:55:56 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 14:13, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> Hello,
> I just uploaded *improved* vmap0 boundary shapefiles to $(home)/vmap0
>  world_bnd_m.*
> It covers the whole world (well small bit of Antarctica got chopped out
> somehow) and it's already projected to Mercator(wgs84).
> I'd like to modify osm.xml to reflect this.  Is /home/mapnik just
> symlinking data etc? I can not access it from my account

We should define a place where to put all this stuff. I started normalizing
the xml files so that everything is under one subdirectory (/home/mapnik/*).
This makes installing mapnik easier. If you have it on your machine installed
in another directory or as another user, you should change /home/mapnik to
your directory. But now it's only one substitute command and not 10 different
substitutes like before. This is part one.
The other part is that we should define a place where everyone can get the
most detailed and newest vmap0 data. What about putting it into svn? this
would make installing mapnik easier, because it would save another download
and everyone could work  on improving the current vmap0 data (If ever needed
again)?
So I would suggest to put it in the directory
	http://svn.openstreetmap.org/data/vmap0/
and adjust the directorynames in the xml File.

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304