[OSM-dev] wishlist: gpx merging tool

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Tue Jan 23 23:27:58 GMT 2007

SteveC a écrit :

> A poor mans differential GPS perhaps, but also I've seen a lot of
> dropout from putting a GPS on a car dashboard and figure that putting
> one at the back too (which will see a different set of satellites) might
> help.

I often take both my NaviGPS and my Garmin Forerunner 301 together.

The NaviGPS can record at 1 pt/s for a long time (3h for the Garmin) but
the 301 has a better reception (sirfStarIII)

With this method, I can see when the NaviGPS trace goes crazy. But
automatic merging will not be very good in my case : In most case, I can
tell when one of the track is wrong. I don't want an average !

For the merger you request, it could be a good idea to use Hdop in the
process to give more importance to a track or the other at each points.

(unfortunately, I can't get hdop from my Garmin unit)