[OSM-dev] Drawing ways with bezier curves rather than linesegments

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at vrijschrift.org
Thu Jan 25 21:04:54 GMT 2007

At Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:41:28 +0000,
Dave wrote:
> Very true, although that's just laziness really as it does invalidate
> the resulting patent -- if you can afford the lawyers to challenge it
> that is.

Remember that the patent office gets paid for every granted patent,
but doesn't get much when it rejects a patent. For a patent examiner
it's also way easier to grant a patent, because when he rejects the
patent he has to write down why it's rejected.

> I think my point is I'd rather nobody on the list knew anything about
> any patents that might or might not be related to something we're doing.
> Mostly this is because:
> a) Half the time we don't know what the patent is actually for
> b) We have no real way of assessing whether or not we're infringing
> c) We have no sensible way of determining whether, if we are infringing,
> the patent stands a chance of being valid

This is very true. It's actually a fundamental problem of the patent
system. Nobody can answer those three questions except the court (or
maybe the patent office).

I agree with your view that we shouldn't really care much about
patents.

Jeroen Dekkers