[OSM-dev] Need to convert OSM XML map data to SVG TINY

George Sgouros sgouros at anro.gr
Mon Jan 29 07:57:37 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jochen Topf" <jochen at remote.org>
To: "George Sgouros" <sgouros at anro.gr>
Cc: <dev at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Need to convert OSM XML map data to SVG TINY

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:09:54PM +0200, George Sgouros wrote:
>> I am on my way on creating a map-based app for mobile phones using J2ME
>> and JSR226 (svg). After discovering openstreetmaps sometime ago, I cannot
>> think of anything else but osm to use as a map source for my app.
>>
>> However I do have a problem. Osmarender currently only supports XML to
>> SVG FULL conversion. It would be really nice if it could directly produce
>> an SVG TINY file.
>>
>> I thought about tweeking osmarender.xsl in order to make it output an
>> SVG-TINY file instead of SVG-FULL, however I found it a bit overwhelming.
>> I COULD of course use Adobe Illustrator or a similar app to make the
>> conversion from svg full to svg tiny. However, what I think as the best
>> approach is a command line tool which could directly produce SVG-TINY
>> files using the osm xml files.
>>
>> So I was wondering if anybody could help me locate (or maybe easily
>> create) an XSL file for Osmarender which will produce an SVG TINY file.
>> A command line converter from SVG Full to SVG tiny would also be useful.
>> Does anybody happen to know such a tool?
>
> I guess SVG tiny is a subset of SVG? Is there some specification
> document for it?

SVG Tiny is a stripped-down version of original SVG targeted at mobile
phones and seems to be the dominant platform for mobile phone vector
graphics

>If it is powerful enough to do all the things we need, we might change
>Osmarender to use it.

Using Illustrator, I converted one of the OSM maps from SVG to SVG Tiny .
The resulting map was identical as far as I can figure. The only thing which
differs from the full blown SVG map is that the navigation keys on the left
are not working. This happens because according to the specification the SVG
Tiny platform does not support events (which is not such a major
restriction, since this map will be used on mobile phones anyway).
So, I belive that SVG Tiny is powerful enough to visualise OSM maps without
any problems.

George