[OSM-dev] Non-latin fonts on the slippy map

Dave osm at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 15:04:22 GMT 2007

The mapnik renderer on the slippy map appears to not have a font for
simplified Chinese available... it's appearing as squares. The same is
true for Arabic... and I'm guessing Thai too.

There seem to be people starting to actually do mapping in these
languages, so it might be a nice idea to install the extra language
packs needed on the render box (assuming it's that simple, but it all
works fine in JOSM on my Ubuntu box so it might be).

You can see it not working here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=39.9004809210663&lon=116.39553565143316&zoom=14

it should read as 北京. Which if you don't have chinese fonts installed
will probably look like two squares...
北 = bei
京 = jing

There are Arabic street names in Morocco.