[OSM-dev] Database setup for play server

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jul 4 20:47:21 BST 2007

Hi,

    I'm in the process of setting up my own "play server" for all things
OSM. I want to be able to run the rails API on it, and I also want to be
able to run Mapnik.

(I expect my database to be in a kind of "slave mode" for the time
being, i.e. feeding it the planet file once a week, then maybe making
changes through the API for testing, but discarding those when the next
planet file comes in.)

I know that there are scripts to build a Mapnik compatible PostGIS
database from a planet file (osm2pgsql if I remember correctly), and
there's also a script to build the API compatible MySQL structure I
believe (forgot the name - help me out?).

Do you think it will be possible - performance considerations aside - to
run both the API and Mapnik from the same PostGIS server? I'm willing to
duplicate the data (i.e. import the planet file twice, once for Mapnik
and once for the API) but if at all possible, I'd like to avoid running
Postgres AND MySQL on that machine. So I'd have to make the API run from
Postgres.

Anyone tried that? I remember a team of people working on an even cooler
solution, namely having the API and Mapnik somehow share a database,
after the UK dev day, but I suspect nothing has come of that yet?

Bye
Frederik