[OSM-dev] Mapnik scaling and shieldsymbolizer

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 21:52:57 BST 2007

Hi All,

Does anyone have a conversion scale for google zoom <=> mapnik
maxScaleDenominator? I'm making a slippy map, and when I want to make
something appear on e.g. zoom 7 I'm hunting around looking for the
correct values.

Also, has anyone got experience of the shieldsymbolizer (used for road
references)? I'm trying to space out the shields so that you can see
the road below them - when the ways are short and the zoom is low,
there's practically no gap between the shields. I'd ideally like to
control the spacing between shields with equal values, but increasing
the gap between all shields would otherwise be nice.

Cheers,
Andy