[OSM-dev] control characters in planet.osm

Fri Jul 13 10:50:11 BST 2007

Brett Henderson wrote:

> It seems like this character should never have been entered in
> Potlatch
> anyway.  I haven't tried it yet but what does Ctrl-S do if you're
> entering data in Potlatch?

Theoretically nothing. But it appears Flash Player does let you enter
it into a textfield.

> Either a modification to the Potlatch API, or a modification to
> Potlatch
> itself to prevent this character being entered sounds appropriate.
> Not
> sure if you should remove all low characters because some are
> acceptable
> XML (at least carriage return 0x0D, line feed 0x0A and tab 0x09).

I've added a fix to the Potlatch API to strip out all 0-0x1F
characters. It does strip out carriage return, line feed and tabs,
because we should really be thinking "what's sensible as an OSM
tag?", not "what's valid XML?". XML is just one transport format, and
not one which Potlatch uses.

Fix committed, obviously not live until next deployment.

cheers
RIchard