[OSM-dev] The future of sysadmin

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jul 19 09:23:40 BST 2007

In message <469F1BDB.8060705 at sxpert.org>
        Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert at sxpert.org> wrote:

> 80n wrote:
>> 1) Remote consoles would seem to be a high priority
>
> I'll do you one better
>
> * there should be a serial port concentrator (such as a cyclades unit)
> * the boxes should be powered through a remote controlled power bar,
> so that they can be remotely restarted in case they panic or something

I think that's what 80n meant, or at least something along those
lines. It is certainly what I meant by a remote console.

Whether it is serial or not is largely irrelevant. The important
things are (a) remote power control and (b) remote access to the
system display and keyboard input from BIOS screen onwards.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/