[OSM-dev] The future of sysadmin

Yann yann.hamon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:15:42 BST 2007

Hey everybody, I still apply for that job :]

I don't want to run to london to restart a server  :P BUT you usually don't
have to, apart when you physically want to add a server. Do we have 24/24
rebooting at the datacenter we are in? If yes, that should be enough. We
could use serial cables to get access to the bios if needed - that kind of
things works.
Here is a copy of a message I sent to steve last week end.

Bye!
Yann

Hey Steve,

As I was not able to discuss it with Nick here at SOTM, here are some more
informations about me (as I don't loose hope of getting involved there).
I am mostly a system administrator, but am also not too bad in coding. I
spent the last 2 1/2 years growing the french Ubuntu community, also
handling most the technical issues that we had until now; improving the
software we used (I wrote a couple of patches to punbb, dokuwiki, dotclear)
and managing the growing resources we needed. We are now sharing servers
with Ubuntu Germany and a few other smaller communities, under what we call
Ubuntu Europe ( www.ubuntu-eu.org) which now consists of 7 servers, and
approximatively as many administrators - we have nearly 130M hits a month,
and approximatively 80 - 100 000 daily visitors.

I also wrote a couple of small projects:
- http://xhtml2pdf.mandragor.org
- http://mts.mandragor.org
- http://dokukiwix.mandragor.org
- http://ess.mandragor.org

These are mostly web applications based on PHP, but I am also fine with
other programming languages, although I have nothing to show in these yet.
I studied computer science 4 years in Germany and France, now I am doing a
"work experience" until august 2008 in Oxford, by Oxford Archaeology, as
system administrator and "open source evangelist".

I want to get involved in the administration of the OSM servers - I want to
participate in the server purchase process, in the repartition of the
services on our existing services, on the improvement of our apache/sql
configurations. I want to help build a sys admin team to manage it as I
think 2 or 3 people won't be enough.
I want to help develop monitoring of our servers and identify bottlenecks. I
want to help building a scalable infrastructure which will handle the
growing data and visitors we will have to handle.

Here is my ssh public key; I hope I can get a basic access to the servers
pretty soon, which would help identify the problems, even if I don't get
admin rights right now.
Please consider my request, and contact me for further informations ;)

Yann