[OSM-dev] Problem setting up a play database for use with Rails

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 19 23:32:04 BST 2007

Hi,

    I want to play around with the API a bit and for this I need to
populate it with test data.

I set up rails, created the empty database, and ran osmosis on a planet
file to load it. Then copied data from the history tables into the
current tables. Not having history data is acceptable in my case.

However, I'm still suffering from the fact that osmosis has created
"NULL" timestamps and "NULL" user ids, which subsequently causes the
rails API to bail out in places like

     elsif self.user.data_public?

or

     el1['timestamp'] = self.timestamp.xmlschema

(both in way.rb).

Will I get away with just creating one user and then doing something like

update current_ways set timestamp=123456789,user_id=1;

(and same for nodes & segments), or will this cause trouble somewhere
else? Anything else I need to do? There must be some people who have
already run the rails API from a planet file locally - no?

Bye
Frederik