[OSM-dev] Problem setting up a play database for use with Rails

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 20 00:00:25 BST 2007

Hi,

> I think the timestamp problem will be fixed in later versions of
> osmosis.  I uploaded a 0.3 version in recent hours, it may be worth
> trying that.

Running as we speak.

> I'll welcome any suggestions on how to resolve the user id issue,
> perhaps I should always create an osmosis user in the database and
> assign all records to it ...

Hard for me to say since I think my current use of osmosis as a simple
"converter" is probably a fringe application.

I would really like to have the user's screen name in the planet file,
and then osmosis could populate the user table with dummy records
matching the screen names found in the planet file. But as long as
that's not happening (and for those users who are "anonymous"), I thing
the technique you mention makes sense.

> The latest version also populates current tables but unfortunately I'm
> finding it incredibly slow (approx 3 hours).

I issued "create table ... select * from ..." commands for the three
tables as outlined in my recent post, and it worked quite quickly;
however creating the indices afterwards took a bit longer.

 > Short of deleting and recreating indexes
> afterwards I don't know how to solve this one.  I'm hitting the 10% of
> work that takes 90% of development time problem ...

If I were you I'd just leave that choice to the user. Depending on what
he wants to do with the MySQL database, the user might not even have
InnoDB tables.

> I've tested recent imports using the Potlatch editor which worked
> properly.  I didn't try the API though ...

I'll tell you tomorrow how 0.3 worked.

Bye
Frederik