[OSM-dev] Nokia 770

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Mon Jul 23 16:39:41 BST 2007

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
> Diarmuid Wrenne wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> expansys.com are selling nokia 770's for under 80 pounds. They are 200 mhz linux computers with bluetooth so they can be used with bluetooth GPS's. It would seem that such a computer could be used for real time data collection. It has audio in too for audio markers. Is there any good mapping software out there for linux that would run on 200 mhz?
>>

> you can write your own software, the platform runs a hacked up version
> of debian and is totally open :D

There is the always good Maemo-mapper software that was developed
specifically for the 770/N800. It even allows you to load up map tiles
from OSM.

I've got an N800 currently, and a BT359 GPS receiver that I use as my
primary way of gathering GPS tracks. Works extremely well, only major
issue that I have seen on the N800 (and may or may not affect the 770)
is if the GPS turns off, runs out of battery or goes beyond the range of
the N800 then Maemo-mapper crashes and takes all data since your last
save with it.

Jason Reid