[OSM-dev] Suggestion about design of OSM data structure

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 26 10:30:19 BST 2007

Chien,

    it is well known and long discussed that removing segments will
make things easier.

You are, however, slightly underestimating the complexity of the
task, because of two reasons:

1. Currently, we can have branching ways (e.g. Y-shaped). These need
to be split into several ways when we remove segments. This is
possible but probably difficult to automate fully (e.g. if you have a
main road with lots of little branches, you want the branches to be
split off and the main road to remain in one piece!).

2. Currently, we can have non-contiguous ways, which are sometimes
used to model "areas with holes" (say you have a forest with a
clearing, then the forest will be one "ring" with clockwise segments
and the clearing another "ring" with anticlockwise segments and both
joined into one way). You cannot model this with simple ways alone;
another way would have to be found for areas with holes in them.

Bye
Frederik