[OSM-dev] Planet diff's revisited

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Fri Jul 27 10:10:22 BST 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:01:00AM +0100, Andy Allan wrote:
> If there's no way to generate diffs other than having two planets to
> start with, then we should still do so, but bear in mind that there
> appears to be very little demand for smaller downloads (c.f. 30:1 .bz2
> to .7z stats)

We don't know yet. True bz2 vs 7z seems to be a clear case, however diffs are 10 times smaller than 7z, that might well make a difference. Plus they have other advantages (being able to tell you what changed) too.

Once, I get some time left, I'll implement the diff generation and we'll let download stats decide.

spaetz