[OSM-dev] Map files for entire US (for download)

Al Wold alwold at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 23:54:28 BST 2007

It's definitely a little hard to understand the ascii images, especially in
my default proportional font :)  I do see some benefit to separating.  Near
my house, the road is divided in a sort of indecisive manner.  The median is
there at some points, and not at others.  Being able to visualize that on
the map would be nice.  If we had the "superway" object, everything could be
grouped together as being the same road.  If you look at the east-west road
here, you can see the median I'm talking about:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=85048&ie=UTF8&ll=33.30469,-112.045805&spn=0.005425,0.008862&t=k&z=17&om=1

It might be a generally useful idea to have an area on the wiki to post
photos of different road characteristics.  I think it would be particularly
helpful for "outsiders" to understand, since different countries/areas might
not have the same types of road characteristics, traffic control, etc, but
we all have to share the same tagging scheme.

-Al