[OSM-dev] Simplifying data for routing

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Sat Jul 28 16:09:56 BST 2007

> are key. It seems like I should be able to optimize *something* out
> of PostgreSQL for this type of environment since it's only being used
> by one user and for a specific domain, but I can't find what. Or
> would MySQL be a better fit for a lower-spec environment? It'd
> definitely simplify installation, not needing to install postgis, but
> I couldn't get 5.0 to support the distance function. Is it that
> "distance" is under a different name, or is it truly not supported?

I think the conversion between osm and postgis will not be of any problems for
the end user. You can easily convert it on any larger machine. Then do a
pg_dump and take this postgres dump to the target machine and import it
there. This is what I'm currently trying to do with the osm-mapnik-postgis
stuff. I also went one step further. I'm just building a debian package which
holds this dump and when installed puts it into the gis database of the
destination machine. This way it will probably take about 3-5 minutes to
import the current planet-dump on a standard pc.
So from the point of importing I see no problems.

-
Joerg