[OSM-dev] Suggestion about how to setup a local osm development platform

Mon Jul 30 09:31:33 BST 2007

Chien Nguyen Khac wrote:

> Steps to setup a local osm development platform
> 1. install linux (debian or ubuntu linux?)
> 2. install MySQL (which version?) user need to change Mysql setting
> according osm's mysql wiki
> 3. install PHP (which version?)
> 4. install java (which version?)
> 5. install Ruby, python, perl...
> 6. download planet.osm (2 hours download, 1 hour unzip)
> 7. find the script to create latest osm schema and run it
> 8. import planet.osm into local mysql (I have not try so I dont know
>  how long it take to import 5 GB of planet.osm into database)
> 9. start to investigate and write code to query and/or use osm data
> from local mysql

Euh?

You certainly don't need Linux, PHP, Java, or Python.

You need Ruby, MySQL (which you may well have already), Rails, and
Subversion. Perl is useful if you want to populate your db with
planet.osm, but that's by no means necessary for development.
ImageMagick (and RMagick, and the corresponding dependencies) is
useful if you want animated GPX traces, but not essential.

Your VMWare solution would be _more_ difficult for some of us. Not
everyone is developing on an x86 machine.

I really suggest you start reading up on OSM before firing off mails
like the ones you've sent to the list over the last few days. Believe
it or not, we're not all idiots, and some of the decisions we've made
over the last two years actually have reasons behind them.

Richard