[OSM-dev] TIGER -> OSM import

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Jun 8 18:56:15 BST 2007

SteveC wrote:

> Jamie will dump his script in to svn when he's ready. In the meantime
> someone's already started the major thing we need:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/TIGER_to_OSM_Attribute_Map
>
> Please spend 5 minutes looking at the attribute conversion from TIGER to
> OSM as we'll need it.

My comments on the wiki page:

The A2x road category should probably be mostly "primary" rather than
"trunk".  "trunk" probably corresponds better with the A25-A28
categories (i.e. separated primary highway)

A3x should be "secondary"
A4x would be better as "unclassified" than as "residential"

A64 is not the UK sense of "service" and would do better as
"unclassified".  A73 matches the UK sense of "service road"

A74 should probably be "highway=unclassifed" or "highway=service" as
well as access=private.

I'd like to volunteer my neighboring counties of Wood, Marathon, and
Taylor in Wisconsin for TIGER testing as I am fairly familiar with their
roads but do not have a lot of data invested there.  How is clearing out
or merging of existing data to be handled?

-Alex Mauer "hawke"