[OSM-dev] API search / filters and large areas

mike mike at bristolbeat.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 19:18:44 BST 2007

Does the search feature work with the API?

According to the wiki page, the following should work, but I get a duff
response:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4/way/search?type=cycleway

What I think would be usefull would be to search within a bounding box, and
(for larger areas) to filter the response to limit the number of nodes and
ways returned whilst retaining a sensible overview of the data.  For
example, searching highways / cycleways in the UK would return the magor
routes across the country, but not the thousands of minor roads.  Similarly,
return only every 10th node (for example) on a long way, depending on the
size of the box requested.  Is there any current function or proposal to do
this?

mike