[OSM-dev] TIGER import.rb

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Mon Jun 18 20:32:54 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:14 -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:
> Dave Hansen wrote:
> > Also, are there any tags we should be adding to the nodes so that we can
> > reconcile them against TIGER data in the future?  I was thinking that it
> > might be nice for diff'ing purposes in the future to be able to keep
> > track of which nodes in OSM came from which points in the TIGER data.
> > That way, if we want to import the 2007 data down the line, we can just
> > figure out which nodes we're missing from OSM.
>
> I'd be quite leary of trying to import TIGER data more than once.  I
> wouldn't like to see OSM mapper corrections to TIGER-derived data get
> lost because of that.

I think the current implementation does need to make sure to tag OSM
nodes with enough metadata to figure out what TIGER points the
correspond to.  It doesn't do that at all right now, only for ways.

I think we'll only be able to do a wholesale import of TIGER data once.
After the first import, we'll probably need to write a TIGER diff
utility to figure out what got added from 2006->2007 and then only
upload _that_.  But, I think we can do that a year from now. :)

-- Dave