[OSM-dev] TIGER import.rb

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 09:33:27 BST 2007

Dave Hansen wrote:
>Sent: 19 June 2007 2:59 AM
>To: Brandon Martin-Anderson
>Cc: dev at openstreetmap.org; Alex Mauer
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] TIGER import.rb
>
>On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 17:57 -0700, Brandon Martin-Anderson wrote:
>> >From before: The endpoints of TIGER features have a globally unique
>> ID called  "zero cell id" or sometimes "tzid". that's what you'll find
>> tagged to the endpoints of some ways.
>
>Do you think we should fill this in on all intermediate points in a way?
>It might make it easier to track things down in the future if people are
>editing and split/join ways in the process.

+1 on this. Think it is a good idea.

>> Regarding weird errors. First thing I'd do is find some way to view
>> the same TIGER file in some other viewer, just to make sure it's not a
>> glitch in the TIGER data. In the past I've run into problems like this
>> and spent hours hunting it down, just to find the error was just in
>> crumby data. If that's not the case, I'll go in sleeves rolled up to
>> see about the bug.
>
>I guess it's possible that these are not using the exact same data set,
>but here are two views of the same area with none of the strange
>segments.
>
>http://sigma.openplans.org/?lat=38.91436&lon=-84.92017&zoom=14&layers=BT
>http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-
>bin/mapsurfer?act=out&outfact=2&map.x=211&map.y=180&lat=38.9147263&lon=-
>84.9243622&wid=0.022&ht=0.009&iht=359&iwd=422&&&&tlevel=-&tvar=-
>&tmeth=i&mlat=&mlon=&msym=bigdot&mlabel=&murl=&conf=mapnew.con

Great work guys,
Looking at your latest sample .osm file I can see that where there are
errors (whether in the TIGER data or otherwise) they pretty easy to spot and
hence pretty easy to manually repair. So while I hope its just a bug in the
code if it does turn out to be as a result of errors in the TIGER data its
not going to be to onerous to manage with a manual insertion process.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk