[OSM-dev] Missing usernames on current data returned by API

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 12:58:43 BST 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:
>Sent: 19 June 2007 12:28 PM
>To: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Missing usernames on current data returned by API
>
>In message
><!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAAOKaD4mR3JBOrEpRon92nMgBANp/H2q5kHFIvKMsnZiQaZAAAAA
>BxJAAABAAAABsBgK0gOMjQYHw0S9P4gvhAQAAAAA=@blueyonder.co.uk>
>        Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Looking at Swaffham in Norfolk I find that a large quantity of the
>> data that I know I placed in the database, especially nodes with some
>> specific tags of mine have the following date and username:
>> timestamp='2007-01-10 18:39:59' user='jos逴뷸f’&#x9;'
>
>Oh ****!
>
>The problem is not missing usernames, it is usernames that should be
>missing but are not... or rather it was because I've just deployed a
>fix to the API to stop it returning usernames for objects which were
>last edited by a user who has not made their identity public.
>
>> Looking at the history data for node 21712237 for example:
>>
>> <osm version="0.4" generator="OpenStreetMap server">
>> <node id="21712237" lat="52.6505113310016" lon="0.689199061772345"
>> user="blackadder" visible="true"
>> timestamp="2006-12-24T17:45:59+00:00">
>> <tag k="type" v="house"/>
>> <tag k="man_made" v="building"/>
>> <tag k="note" v="Formerly the home of Admiral Sir Arthur Knyvett
>> Wilson V.C., First Sea Lord."/>
>> <tag k="name" v="Beech Cottage"/>
>> <tag k="created_by" v="JOSM"/>
>> </node>
>> <node id="21712237" lat="52.65051133" lon="0.68919906" visible="true"
>> timestamp="2007-01-10T18:39:51+00:00">
>> <tag k="type" v="house"/>
>> <tag k="man_made" v="building"/>
>> <tag k="note" v="Formerly the home of Admiral Sir Arthur Knyvett
>> Wilson V.C., First Sea Lord."/>
>> <tag k="name" v="Beech Cottage"/>
>> <tag k="created_by" v="JOSM"/>
>> </node>
>> </osm>
>>
>> It would appear from the above that the only change on this item that
>> occurred on 10th January related to a truncation of the lat and
>> lon. Might that suggest it was done by something automatically?? At
>> the same time the username for this change was not set which is
>> presumably the reason for the odd username returned by the API for the
>> current data.
>
>The history API was correctly suppressing non-public changes, but
>the main API was not, hence the oddness you saw.
>
>> Question therefore.. Might it be worth checking the db for missing
>> usernames on the last edit and where the lat/lon was truncated but no
>> other change was made perhaps the username of the pervious edit in
>> history should be applied.
>
>I don't understand what you're saying here - are you suggesting we
>attribute the truncation change to the previous editor rather than
>the person who made that edit? Why?

ok, I just downloaded the area again and I now see that no username is returned via the API where before I had the odd username. However this means the user stats in JOSM (percentages) are no longer correct. Would it not be better to send a username of "Private_Users" or something?

However all this does not explain why a large chunk of data that I uploaded originally was subsequently lat/lon truncated by something else. That’s the only change I can see on all of the data I'm talking about here. Any ideas? It feels like it has to have been something automated.

Cheers

Andy