[OSM-dev] JOSM gcj

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Mon Jun 25 19:02:49 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 19:47 +0200, Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 15:38 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Hi Sander,
> >
> > > I was thinking of packaging JOSM for Fedora, and for that it has to
> > > build with gcj (a free java implementation). After some quick hacks it
> > > does work, but it needs a little bit of love.
> >
> > There's a guy on the talk-de mailing list who says he won't use software
> > that requires evil non-free Sun Java so rather than just telling him to
> > go away (which was my first instinct) I'd like to do a version that
> > works with gcj.
> >
> > Can you provide me with the patches required to get going with gcj?
> >
> Attached is a patch that will make it compile, I even removed some
> duplicate ways with it, but don't expect it to work flawlessly. You will
> also probably need Fedora 7, the other distro's are a bit behind wrt gcj
> i think (somebody correct me if i am wrong).
>
> Hum, i just tried for the fun of it to just run josm-latest.jar with
> gij, and it runs, i only get error 401 when uploading. I'll check
> compiling svn without patches and report back

ok, so build.xml needs to have source="1.5", that's a first. Other then
that the method getMousePosition() is undefined for type Component in
classpath at this point(1)

I think that if there isa different way of getting the mouse position, josm will run ok with free-as-in-speech software.

(1) http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk15-classpath.html#err_missing_java_awt

Sander