[OSM-dev] Escaping characters in node/way tags

Thu Mar 1 14:13:58 GMT 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Cool, can we use features of Potlatch's API to improve other editors?

No reason why not! It implements the following that might be useful:

- whichways: return a list of ways within a given bounding box
- getway: return an entire way as an ordered list of nodes[1]
- putway: save an entire way to the DB
- deleteway: delete a way

Potlatch uses AMF (ActionScript Message Format), rather than REST, for
speed - AMF is a really efficient binary packing format which Flash
players understand natively, so it means the client feels responsive
and the server doesn't get too loaded. But in due course, if these
calls were deemed helpful, I'm sure that both the Potlatch and
standard APIs could "wrap" around a common library and encode as AMF
and REST respectively.

cheers
Richard

[1] well, a special sort of ordered-list-of-nodes which is designed
not to break existing noncontiguous ways or tags attached to segments...