[OSM-dev] Algorithm for extracting nodes/edges from gps-tracklogs

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Fri Mar 2 08:25:44 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 22:51:30 +0000, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> Stefan de Konink wrote:
> > > OpenStreetMap, in general, has regarded that as a Hard Problem (TM).
> > > There was a open project to do it but I don't recall the name of it.
> > > Bouncing this to the OSM list who may be able to help.
> > > Michael Stein wrote:
> >
> > http://mapgeneration.berlios.de/ ?
> >
> > http://uva.hobby-site.com/~skinkie/mgg.png
> >
> > It is a bit hard to compile.
> yes mapgeneration was it! :-)

The GPS parser is quite dumb, loads of bugs, wonky license, the UI
will crash faster than you can see (at least on SMP, due to broken
locking.)

However, the overall idea is quite nice and most of it works. It would
need some servere touch-up, but it would be a good start if it was
GPL-compatible.

However, it's a question about what you want. It *could* get you
started quite fast with roads and their driving directions, but it
won't help you a lot classifying those, applying names etc. Since the
idea is nice, I thought about starting from scratch, but due to time
constrains...

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481