[OSM-dev] Mapnik: Problems setting up Postgresql

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Mar 6 21:48:06 GMT 2007

Hello Artem (and anyone else),

Am trying to set up the postgresql database for Mapnik rendering. Following
the instructions on the wiki, I have got to this stage:

createdb -Upostgres -EUNICODE <DBNAME>

Even if I am root, I get an "access denied" message.

I have edited pg-ident.conf to look like this:

# MAPNAME     IDENT-USERNAME    PG-USERNAME
map1          root              postgres
map1          nick              postgres

The other file , pg-hba.conf seems harder to understand. Mine looks like this:

# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               ident sameuser
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

What do I need to change to get it to work?
This is postgresql 8.1, Debian etch.

Thanks,
Nick