[OSM-dev] Mapnik: Problems setting up Postgresql

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 22:01:03 GMT 2007

Hi Nick,

Try:

su postgres

then:

psql
create user nick with encrypted password 'blah' createuser createdb
create database nick

exit psql

Edit pg_hba.conf, replace

# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

with

local all all ident sameuser

Then you shoudl be able to login from the shell like:

nick# psql

On 3/6/07, Nick Whitelegg <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:
> Hello Artem (and anyone else),
>
> Am trying to set up the postgresql database for Mapnik rendering. Following
> the instructions on the wiki, I have got to this stage:
>
> createdb -Upostgres -EUNICODE <DBNAME>
>
> Even if I am root, I get an "access denied" message.
>
> I have edited pg-ident.conf to look like this:
>
> # MAPNAME     IDENT-USERNAME    PG-USERNAME
> map1          root              postgres
> map1          nick              postgres
>
> The other file , pg-hba.conf seems harder to understand. Mine looks like this:
>
> # Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local   all         all                               ident sameuser
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all         all         ::1/128               md5
>
> What do I need to change to get it to work?
> This is postgresql 8.1, Debian etch.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Nick Black