[OSM-dev] Algorithm for converting lat/lon into Mercator as used in OSM PostGIS?

Kristian Thy thy at 42.dk
Sun Mar 11 13:58:04 GMT 2007

On Sun, Mar 11, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > Maybe it's just me being daft, but is there any real reason you want to
> > do this massive duplication of effort? Can't you just link to libproj?
>
> Not if you want to implement it in javascript :-) (see earlier reference to
> wishing to avoid unneccessary computations server side)

See, it *was* me being daft :)

> Besides, I'd like to understand what all these parameters actually *mean*...

Something like this: http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/gen_parms.html ?
More in-depth information than you can shake a stick at can be found in
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.I2.pdf - it's dense, but it
probably makes more sense than trying to read the Proj.4 source code ...

\\kristian
--
Cthulhu.call();