[OSM-dev] Extracting Great Britain and Ireland from planet.osm

Ludwig M Brinckmann ludwigbrinckmann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:50:54 GMT 2007

I think you misunderstood me. I perfectly understand the reasons why the API
gives the 400 error.

What I thought was 'insane' however was the attitude that my desire to
'download the whole of London' was somehow not justified rather than just
pointing out a temporary shortcoming of the software. Just because it did
not work and there was no trivial workaround (apart from download the whole
planet, install ruby, install another DB, configure a few scripts...) did
not mean that my request was somehow outlandish. Remember, 'the customer is
always right' ;-)

But with these scripts I think we will get a very good workaround that will
reduce workload on the server and give people what they want: easy access to
open data. Best of both worlds really. Over and out.

Ludwig