[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is complete?

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 11:26:25 GMT 2007

Frederik Ramm [mailto:frederik at remote.org] wrote:
>Sent: 21 March 2007 11:19 AM
>To: Andy Robinson
>Cc: 'Thomas Lunde'; dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is
>complete?
>
>Hi,
>
>> The original approach on one machine at 1 sec insert cycle produces
>> a huge
>> amount of data quite quickly (it by far swamped the volume of data
>> for the
>> rest of the world put together in the time it ran) it will still
>> take a
>> considerable time to import everything, many many months rather
>> than weeks.
>
>Would it not be sensible - for this special case, where such a large
>amount of data is imported - to import directly into the central
>MySQL database? Of course this would require some admin cooperation
>and oversight but for an amont of data that will (my guess) instantly
>double what we already have, one shouldn't do anything without admin
>cooperation or oversight anyway;-)
>
>I guess the table structure used by the central server is in SVN, so
>anyone could set up a MySQL database like ours and experiment with
>direct importing of TIGER data, and once that works, prepare the "big
>import". That would surely be much quicker than anything else. If
>need be, index generation can be halted during the import and indexes
>could be rebuilt afterwards, which is often considered a good idea
>when importing a lot of data (don't know about the super special
>tricky spatial indexes used in OSM but I guess it's the same with them).
>
>Importing TIGER bit for bit over a period of weeks will probably
>cause more server trouble than just closing shop for a night and
>running the full import.

Good to see some renewed discussion on this.

I think we can be fairly assured though that importing the full TIGER data
would take considerably more than a short shutdown, even if the process was
talking directly to the db. The volume of data is simply vast!

Cheers

Andy

A test run where a separate Mysql instance