[OSM-dev] Yahoo Imagery Plugin - MacOS SUCCESS!

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Wed Mar 21 11:52:10 GMT 2007

Francisco R. Santos wrote:

> On 3/20/07, *Robert (Jamie) Munro* wrote:
> > You will need to manually close firefox-x11 after every download,
> > otherwise the next download will break. I don't know why this is - when
> > downloading plain black images in native mac os firefox, it was closed
> > automatically.
>
> Firefox is manually closed from JOSM after the dump, because of the
> impossibility of doing it within Javascript code (restriction imposed in
> JavaScript itself), and is done calling standard java methods (
> java.lang.Process.destroy() ). I don't know  the internal mecanism of
> creating process in fink, and it why can't destroy them. Maybe java
> should also be in fink?

fink is just a package manager (actually just a port of debian's apt,
dpkg etc. with some extras). It just installs things in the /sw/ folder
so that they don't interfere with normal software. They run as normal
processes in the Mac OS X Darwin kernel, the same as all the other
applications.

I've cracked the problem. /sw/bin/firefox is a complicated script that
starts up a firefox process after checking if one is already running and
lots of other things. /sw/lib/firefox1.5/firefox-bin is the real firefox
executable, and if you link to that, it works (almost) perfectly (so far).

I'm getting something odd on the console of josm:
YWMS::*** e = [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016
(NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]"  nsresult:
"0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://browser/content/utilityOverlay.js :: getShellService :: line
329"  data: no]

Is this anything to worry about?

Would anyone with a Mac like to try replicating my setup and making
proper documentation? Half of what I needed was installed already, so I
don't know what a fresh install would look like. Also, it might be
better to use darwinports rather than fink - I only used fink because I
had it installed already, but AFAIK darwinports is generally reccomended
now.

So far, the instructions go:
* Install fink
* Install X11 from Apple (or possibly from fink)
* Install fink package firefox1.5

or:

* Install darwinports
* Install X11 according to darwinports recommendations
* Install darwinports package firefox-x11

then:

* Get up to date JOSM and plugins (YWMS, WMS)
* Run X
* Type "java -jar josm.jar" in an xterm
* Configure the plugin as normal.

I've added this to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/YWMS