[OSM-dev] JOSM patch to request T at H renders

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 23 07:33:57 GMT 2007

Hi,

> I've been working on a patch for JOSM that will request tiles at home
> updates whenever data is uploaded.

I don't know if you have seen my "slippymap" plugin (in SVN). It
currently displays a map tile grid and has the ability of loading and
displaying slippymap tiles. I had the intention of expanding that to (a)
be able to request and display tile metadata ("this tile last rendered
at ...") and (b) to allow the manual issue of re-rendering requests.

I still think that avenue would be worth pursuing; especially trying to
support various (probably even configurable) slippymap layers instead of
only t at h, but I also believe that manual requests make more sense than
automated ones.

In the worst case, your automated solution will lead to a tile being
re-requested multiple times in short intervals, and given that some
renderers are faster than others, it might actually happen that a
generated tile is overwritten by an older version (JOSM user uploads
change, slow renderer grabs request, JOSM user uploads other change,
fast renderer grabs request, fast renderer uploads latest tile, slow
renderer uploads older tile).

Bye
Frederik