[OSM-dev] mapnik map and Arabic names

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Fri Mar 23 15:40:22 GMT 2007

On 23 Mar 2007, at 15:03, Raphaël Jacquot wrote:

> Alilo a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> On the mapnik map, the arabic letters are not connected. which is not
>> correct in arabic.
>> mapnik arabic:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?
>> lat=33.997890200140446&lon=-6.8455796898306565&zoom=16
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?
>> lat=33.997890200140446&lon=-6.8455796898306565&zoom=16>
>>

>> I thought in an earlier thread
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-January/
>> 010816.html
>> that the problem was from the dejavu fonts but dejavu fonts render
>> arabic correctly.
>>
>> Is it possible that this is happening because mapnik is rendering
>> names
>> letter by letter and not taking the complete word?
>>
>> Is it because of the process that converts osm -> postgis ->
>> mapnik .?
>
> the real issue at hand is that mapnik does not render words as one
> entity. hence the problems with languages in which characters are
> different depending on their position in the word.

I don't think this is the issue. The problem is with fribidi or the
way is used in Mapnik.

> using something like pango may be required for proper text output.
> thing
> is, I'm not sure antigrain can do that. the only rendering library
> that
> can do that properly as far as I know is cairo

AGG is nothing to do with text rendering in Mapnik. It uses Freetype2.

I see some arabic shaping code in fribidi source repository. I'll try
building from latest trunk and debug :D

If fribidi doesn't work there is another option is to use ICU which
claims to have BIDI. shaping etc.

Cheers,
Artem

Artem Pavlenko