[OSM-dev] Writing an OSM map application

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:00:59 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 16:21 +0100, Andreas Volz wrote:
> Am Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:52:29 +0000 schrieb Keith Sharp:
>
> > I use PostGIS on top of PostgreQL.  The table format is defined by the
> > import tool, see below.
>
> I installed PostGIS on my machine.
>
> > > - Is there an application which converts the world.osm into a SQL
> > > database?
> >
> > If you use PostGIS then you want osm2pgsql:
> >
> > 	http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/osm2pgsql/
> >
> > or as an RPM from:
> >
> > 	http://www.passback.org.uk/maps/rpms/
>
> Is there also an Gentoo ebuild available?

Not that i'm aware of. If someone volunteers to generate a suitable
package and makes it available then please email the osm-dev list.

> I tried to build it with the Makefile and got as result:
>
> g++ -g -O2 -Wall -DGEOS_INLINE    -c -o build_geometry.o
> build_geometry.cpp build_geometry.cpp:26:39: error:

> > eix geos
> * sci-libs/geos
>      Available versions:  2.2.1 2.2.3 ~3.0.0_rc3
>      Installed:           2.2.3
>      Homepage:            http://geos.refractions.net
>
> Do I need a more recent geos version? I think it doesn't hurt to
> document the needed library versions. :-)

geos-2.2 should work. I've committed a change to SVN which should allow
the code to compile automatically with both geos-2.2 and geos-3 without
needing a Makefile flag.

I've also added some notes into the readme.txt about building the code
and the libraries required.