[OSM-dev] PostGIS dump

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 25 23:06:47 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 21:57 +0100, Keith Sharp wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 21:52 +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:

> > >                    Stable  Experimental
> > > planet_osm_line    341883  343729
> > > planet_osm_point   102685  102685
> > > planet_osm_polygon 167291   12038
> > >

> > Do you run the setup_z_order.sql script on the 'stable' version?
> >
> > That script drops all the natural=coastline from the polygon table and
> > may well account for the large difference between the two versions. The
> > experimental version incorporates dropping the coastline data as part of
> > the import.
>
> What is the reason for dumping the coastline stuff from the import?

The latest osm.xml uses a shapefile as the source of the coastline
because the current coastline ways are impossible for mapnik to render
as a filled polygon (this used to cause the coastline to appear in grey
triangular pieces).

Artem took the coastline data from OSM and then generated a shapefile
containing a well-formed polygon for the UK coastline. This problem was
mentioned originally:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2007-February/003045.html

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2007-February/003052.html

The more recent discussions have been how to deal with this problem
longer term (i.e. use OSM for coastline data or an external file).

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-March/012412.html

	Jon