[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is complete?

Nathan Rover NRover at websitemakers.com
Wed Mar 28 05:25:10 BST 2007

Don,
Sorry, I've been a little busy this week, I'm going to start setting up
the server on Thursday. I've got about 3/4 of the states downloaded (4.8
GB zipped). I was going to load Debian on the server, are there any
objections? After looking at the TIGER data, I've started thinking that
it might work better to import the data as is into a mySQL database.
Some of the files are just records of keys from other records in other
files, ect, ect, ect. This could be why the original scrips only
imported info from one of the files. There is much more information
available but you need to be able to join data from different files.
Going county by county will also be a problem if the data is imported
from the files. Case in point look at I-70, how many counties does I-70
go through as it crosses the country? If you go county by county each
segment will be a way, rather then the whole road. If the data is pulled
from a database with all the TIGER data loaded then all of I-70 can be
treated as a way. Another observation I have made is that the TIGER data
at it's basic format is a name (some times) and two sets of GPS cords.
To convert this to the OSM each set of cords would be a node. But three
segments in a row would share two nodes. This was the problem with the
last import. To solve this, perhaps a simple "select distinct"  from a
list of  nodes loaded in the database. Let me know what you all think
but the more I think about it the more I think it will be easier to
first import the pure TIGER data with no changes, then write code, or
SPs to move the data to a OSM test db.

later, Nathan