[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import

Nathan Rover NRover at websitemakers.com
Wed Mar 28 14:42:29 BST 2007

Thats fine we can put the data in as short ways, rather than one long
way, the point I was trying to make was this. If imported from text
files it would look like this

  county a          county b
o---------o X o---------o

If we did it from the database we could make it look like this

  county a    county b

Key: o=node o----o=way

The last time a TIGER import was attempted each segment was a way and
there was a break between them. This could be very confusing for routing
software to navigate down the road, if it's not linked at the nodes.
When importing on a county by county base there would be a break right
at the county line. If all the data is in the database and everything
regarding the road is queried at once we could avoid this problem.

Nathan