[OSM-dev] OSM Photos

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 5 10:17:47 BST 2007

Hi,

> Of course the perfect solution would be that all geotagged photos, wherever
> taken in the world and of whatever subject you can think of, are all
> accessible, searchable and filterable and overlain as a layer over an OSM
> map. That would be really cool and could grow into quite some site. But I
> don't think it should be a core activity for OSM itself. In my opinion it
> really needs to be a separate project.

I have thought about "third party OSM" servers in other contexts too.
For example, the idea has often been floated that it would be nice to
have meta data which is aimed only at mappers and editors, like "this
area should be fairly complete", "this road did continue but I didn't
follow it", or "this area has fierce private security guys who will be
unhappy about people with GPSes" and so on.

Something like that could easily be put an a different server that is
better suited for handling such data (the OSM server cannot handle areas
properly, i.e. if someone draws a rectangle over a whole city and puts
an annotation in regarding that city, no OSM user who downloads a
bounding box *within* that city will see that because the data just
isn't returned).

One would have a JOSM plugin that, when downloading an area for editing
from the OSM server, would also query that third-party server for any
meta information regarding that area, and when entering
meta-information, would upload it to that server.

I am not currently working in that direction (first want to see how the
new API0.4 features impact collaboration), but generally that is a way
than can be used for situations where OSM is insufficient. It is not
really a wholly separate project, but it isn't really a part of OSM
either. (The uniqe login would be solved if OSM goes OpenID or something
like that.)

I could imagine a similar thing for a photo server.

Bye
Frederik