[OSM-dev] API id placeholders

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun May 6 12:12:17 BST 2007

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:

> This way it does not take one 3-way-tcp-hand-handshake per
> node/segment/way.

No, I was assuming a persistent TCP socket & HTTP connection, but
the client waiting for the first response before sending the
second request, i.e. the classic RPC behaviour.  Even the rather
primitive coast_upload.pl script, which is written in Perl and
uses the WWW::Curl::Easy library seems to reuse the same HTTP
connection between requests.

I haven't looked at the JOSM source code, but one way out could be
to start multiple threads, each having its own HTTP connection.
That would be a rather ugly (and possibly unethical) way to
over-consume server resources.

I haven't studied whether Java reuses the same connection, but my
proposed "bundle" operation would speed things up either way.

> If you put a local caching Server on your machine in between
> josm and the OSM-Server this sometimes speeds up stuff

This sounds rather exotic.  How many people have this?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)