[OSM-dev] No more incomplete ways with 0.4?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 7 13:48:14 BST 2007

Martijn,

> I sent a patch that did this for ways downloaded by the "Download
> Incomplete" action. It should be fairly straight forward to make that
> part of the normal download process. This way they can easily be
> fixed.... (essentially the first time someone tries to download the
> way it can be fixed...)

Your patch is in josm-latest.jar since 24 April and works well.

However, having to work with potentially incomplete objects causes a lot
of extra code in JOSM (a quick grep counts 79 occurrences of
"incomplete" in 26 different files!).

My idea was to get rid of incomplete objects by not allowing them
through the gates (either "completing" them or rejecting them). That
would not have made sense before 0.4 (because most ways were incomplete
then), but 0.4 has changed this, and now encountering an incomplete way
should be an exeption.

That way, all the rest of the JOSM code would be an "incomplete-free
zone", making the code easier to understand - and sometimes quicker to
execute.

Bye
Frederik