[OSM-dev] osmarender: need help on fixing problems with rendering big lakes

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 10:23:40 BST 2007

Hi Raphael,
On 8 May 2007, at 09:58, Raphael Studer wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Short indroductoin:
> I'm a embedded software developer living next to the Lake of Constance
> [1] in Switzerland.
>
> On the main map at informationfreeway.org the lake is rendered a
> little bit strange. The same problem occures at the Lake of Geneva
> [2].
>
> I'll to help fixing this problem, but i can't find a good introduction
> into the renderprogramm.
> It will be great if someone could give me a short indroduction or tell
> where i could finde one.

The first thing to check is that all the segments that define the
lake point in the same direction. JOSM is the best tool for this as
you can turn on the arrowheads for the segments. This is the most
likely problem.

Once this is checked, you should go an force a new render of the
area. If there is still a problem, it will probably be due to the
renderer, this is less likely to be the problem.

I do note that Mapnik does render fine, though it might take less
regard for the direction of the segments.

Shaun